Friday 11 July 2008

Dreams, interests...and ambitions

As grown-ups, I guess we don't go around asking friends or colleagues what their ambitions are . If you do, people would most likely laugh or stare at you. Either way, it won't be a pleasant point to continue a conversation. While a person might be very ambitious, a question about ambition may be quite irrelevant or rather out of context except in those job interviews where they would ask "Where do you see yourself in five years?"*.

As a child, we would be asked what we would like to do (be) when we grow up. It is a logical question since children have their future and a whole life in front of them. They are full of energy, they learn a lot quicker and have many opportunities to grab. And obviously, time is on their side. On the contrary, adults are well...I would not say that they are "gone case" even though some probably are. Suffice to say that adults have less time, less energy and less optimistic.

As a child, I remember I was a lot more inclined in arts. Drawing and painting were something I was very passionate about. In spare time, I would love to draw, most of them would be beautiful scenery. These are imaginary places, locations I have never been to before. I guess children in general have a lot of imaginations so it was quite natural for me to imagine those beautiful places especially beaches where I would always love to go.

Typical of those times, children in that small part of the world where I lived would love to draw a view by the beach with the sun shining and a flock of birds flying high above in the bright blue sky, or a scenery at a typical Malay "kampung" where a traditional wooden house would be drawn. To complete the piece, a coconut tree would almost always be in the picture!

While primary school children during those times were mostly taught to paint in coloured pencil, my paintings were mostly done in watercolour. I never had to buy any brushes or paints as there were always sufficient supplies of them at home - they were owned by my elder sisters who at that time were in secondary school. I think I must have owed it to them for there were always words of encouragement that must have helped nurtured my talent.

In hindsight, I don't think my drawings and paintings were very good at all but the constant encouragement must have boosted my confidence and developed the creative side in me. And I think that really matters for children. Words of encouragement build their confidence and take the fears away.

As I grow older, I still enjoyed the art classes eventhough I attended a school heavily biased in favour of science**. I learned quite a number of new skills, including paper-mache (which stink!), canting to produce batik (which I enjoyed very much) and various painting techniques (including one in which an old tooth brush was used!). I never got an A in arts and the art teacher once commented that my work was quite dirty.

When I was 16, I picked copper tooling as part of my extra-curricular activities. It wasn't very easy to master and requires quite a lot of hard work but it was another enjoyable activity nevertheless. I regretted I didn't buy my own design project - it was a bunch of imaginery flowers with some leafs around them - each student could opt to buy his own completed work if not the art work would be recycled for use as base material for next year's batch of students.

I didn't take arts as a major subject so I did't have to take an exam for it. There were not that many students taking arts anyway at the school it must be less than 10 people altogether. By then, my interest must have swung into something more promising.

I remembered my elder sister putting chemical engineering as one of her preference a few years earlier so I decided to put that same subject as my number one preference when I started applying for places in 1992 (my sister certainly had a great influence on me!).

On the other hand, my chemistry project on lycopodium (a native plant, available abundantly outside our school compound) and its healing properties, co-developed with a classmate and friend (original idea was all mine!) was selected as the top three projects that would represent the school at a national level science competition. It was a big boost to me as I was never a good achiever in chemistry let alone near the top! It was probably another big influence on my decision to take up what I later took up. The artistic side of me didn't want to give up easily either so architecture came as preference number 2!

By then, it was almost clearly charted that my university degree would be in science, and not arts. I tried not to leave arts completely though. At 17, when I was in some foreign land, despite taking pure science for all my subjects, I decided to take painting as one of my extra-curricular activities...

* I wonder whether they still ask this question these days as I didn't get this question in the subsequent interviews years later. I presume it is only reserved for those seeking their first job!I answered mine more than ten years ago during my first job interview. I don't think I turned out to be the same person described in my answer back in 1997 five years later but I got the job anyway!.

** I think it is quite unfortunate as far as developing talents are concerned to have a school heavily biased in favour of science, and vice versa. In the school I attended, the only arts subjects we have then were art and history. I opted out history when I was 16 as I was very keen in geography and we could only choose one between the two. In hindsight, I think literature and economy would prepare us "science stream" students better for the future.

5 comments:

Ibu WA Alim said...

IWA rasa org tanya bebudak ttg cita2 mrk krn mrk blm jd apa2..masih di peringkat belajar..utk jd apa..
Dan org tak tanya org dewasa mrk nak jd apa..(dan apa lps tu..)..apb mrk dah mula bekerja..
Agak'a krn pemikiran ramai org..itu'h p'akhiran kpd pengejaran cita2..sbb dah jd apa..melain'n kpd org yg org kata 'ambitious'..agak'a mrk lbh nampak bhw pengejaran cita2 bkn sesuatu yg blh b'akhir dgn t'capai'a satu cita..
Kalu'h IWA penah bg anda 'words of encourage', IWA rasa ia sbnr'a bkn words of encourage krn masa tu blm ada kesedaran utk encourage org..dan kalu IWA penah kata awak pandai/pandai lukis/lukisan awak cantik, sbnr'a mmg betul'h sedemikian.. sekrg2'a drp perspektif IWA..krn IWA rasa keluarga kita jenis yg terus terang..kalu tak elok kata tak elok'h..dan kalu elok kata elok'h..besides..IWA wp suka dgn lukisan/gamba pemandangan tp IWA tak pandai lukis..
Kalu IWA lukis pun gamba pemandangan sawah padi dilatari bukit2..ada matahari..ada burung terbang..mungkin ada sungai mengalir dr arah p'bukitan..dan ada rumah kg..dan ada pokok kelapa!
Sbb tu dulu bila dtg markah kertas lukisan peratusan IWA jatuh m'dadak..mana'n tidak markah setakat 18% @ 22% je..tp IWA dpt maintain la dpt no.1 dr form 1-3 tak penah kasi org lain..
Tp itu cerita dulu2 la..

Yasmin's Mummy said...

Yes children should be encouraged to pursue their interests. I noticed that in the west, they value subjects such as languages, history, politics and economics and the likes. It's certainly good to have a balanced perspective, not just purely science or purely arts.

Ibu WA Alim said...

Dulu, bila IWA mula2 melangkah ke kampus..IWA tinggalkan kecenderungan terhdp sajak-menyajak..sbb IWA rasa mcm dok berjiwang je..dan merapu..lps tu bila dah hampir melangkah keluar kampus tu barulah ada IWA tulis semula 1-2..
IWA pun dulu mcm konon2 minat dgn penulisan/novel..tp lama kelamaan IWA rasa tak berbakatlah utk menghasilkan sebuah tulisan yg baik/berkualiti..

aida said...

when talking about art stream, selalu org dok tanya ada future ke kalau amik art stream rather than science stream?

sedihlah culture pendidikan kita mcm ni, dok tekankan pasal sains je, tapi art stream macam kesusasteraan, perakaunan tak pernah pun amik pusing.

lepas tu ada kisah lagi, komponen sastera melayu yag form 4 or form 5 wajib amik tu, akan ditukar kepada karya moden seperti karya ahadiat akashah. currently, karya sastera melayu is dominated by a samad said, usman awang.

alasan nak tukar - sebab student susah nak faham komponen sastera hasil sasterawan negara.

aida pulak dok pk, kenapa la org putih dipaksa belajar shakespears? mestilah nak mendaulatkan karya sastera mereka sendiri kan.

aduh aduh sistem pendidikan malaysia, bilalah hendak berubah

Ummu Auni said...

kelakarnya baca entry ni. sebab terkenang diri sendiri...rasa macam tersilap pilih bidang je. tu lah dulu tak tanya mak su betul2, ayah betul2....i feel i would love engineering much more, tapi nak buat macam mana..dah termaktub jadi akauntan :D